Friday, August 28, 2009

Inadequacy

Inadequacy attacked me today. I was walking out of the library, balancing a stack of books for the kids to use for their studies next week. My stomach was full of a meal I'd prepared in the crock-pot while we did school today. My head was whirring about ideas for them to study next week. Then I saw the poster.


It was an advertisement for the summer reading program party. It was for all participants that met a certain reading requirement in their summer reading. It was bright and colorful, very attention grabbing. I breathed a sigh of relief that the kids were at home with dad.


If they'd been along I'd have to explain why we could not go- we had read more than enough to qualify, the kicker- I had not been diligent about having them write down the pages they read or about turning the list in to the librarian. My shoulders sagged with feelings of not-good-enough. I thought of all the fun they could've had with kids their age, if I'd only been better at my job of super-mom.


I was well on my way to excuses and justifications for myself when I got to my mini-van. As I pulled out of the library parking lot, the local Christian radio station was playing a minute-long monologue of encouraging words. "Our insufficiencies are only to make us look to God. He alone is sufficient."


I smiled, shoulders back, as a weight lifted. I don't have to be super-mom. I can trust my Heavenly Father to be everything. Not just everything I'm not, He is Everything. My inadequacy glorifies His adequacy in all things.

1 comment:

Cheri Bunch said...

He heard your thoughts! Luke 7:36-50. This passage speaks of a man with negative unuttered thoughts, but the Lord heard and responded to those thoughts! I think that is sooo cool!

Psalm 139:1-2 The Message "I'm an open book to you; even from a distance, you know what I'm thinking. You know when I leave and when I get back; I'm never out of your sight. You know everything I am going to say before I start the first sentence. I look behind me and you're there, then up ahead and you're there, too..... your reassuring presence, coming and going. This is too much, too wonderful.......I can't take it all in!"

Psalm 139:2 NIV "you perceive my thoughts from afar".

You are a great mom! The best of the best! I am so proud of you!

Love you,
Cheri