Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What have I gotten myself into?

Over the course of Monday and Tuesday there were at least 5 times that I seriously considered driving to the public school and registering dinohunter. He is struggling. I knew there would be a battle because of his struggles in school. He just doesn't want to focus on the task at hand. For today, Wednesday, I told him he could have all his work and could decide how and when to work on it. I told him I wouldn't nag him to get to work.

Ooops. Who knew that would be so difficult for me?!

So we bumped heads again today and now my thought is that I will still let him choose what to work on, but will give him only one topic or assignment at a time. I really don't want to pester him and damage our relationship. I need to let him learn that if he does waste time there will be consequences, like having his work pile up. It is so hard to let them learn the lessons that took so long to sink into my thick skull! I want to tell them, show them...when all they really need is the freedom to learn for themselves. That is one of the hardest things about parenting (so far at least). I know that they decision to keep on this path and keep holding strong to a standard is only from the Lord. He gives the strength, the peace and the patience.
I just need to learn to keep my mouth shut sometimes!

1 comment:

Mommy Reg said...

Hang in there! I completely understand that feeling. When, you find that you are butting heads, you need to step back and take a break. Remember that the goal is for you to teach them. So, if what you are doing isn't working, you need to switch it up. I have two that learn so differently than what I was prepared for. We threw out pretty much everything and started fresh. You can convo me through the HS Lounge if you want. I have had more than my share of days that you describe.
Hang in there.
Blessings