Monday, May 5, 2008

So much to learn

The more blogs I read, the more I see how much more I need to know about blogging, it seems almost as complex as learning a new language or studying a foreign culture! I have been inspired by some of the recent blogs I've visited to be organized about our homeschool beginning. Homeschooling has been in my heart for so long, and my husband and I have not felt God releasing us to do it until now. So my children are finishing the last few weeks of public school while I try to prepare as best I can. Those who know me would not call me the most organized person but it is a deep desire of my heart to be more so.

I started by setting down a tentative year-long schedule. I am already seeing where adjustments will need to be made, but we will give the "year-round" schedule a try. The hot summer months here in southeast Texas make being outdoors difficult at times, so I hope to use those indoor times to "do school." We'll take time off for a couple of weeks after public school lets out for a breather, then we'll dive in head first! I am excited and nervous at the same time. What a responsibility! Then we'll take time off for the much anticipated Family Reunion in August; the kids look forward to that all year, as do the grown ups! Other than that I've used the year-round schedule suggested in Susan Wise Bauer's The Well Trained Mind.

I love a quote from Christine M. Field's Help for the Harried Homeschooler, "There is hope for the organizationally challenged!" That means there is hope for me.

No comments: